Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day One: Fighting Time

Today, I only had to stop smoking while using the phone and only smoke one cigarette during work hours. Not too hard, right? Wrong. It was a battle from the get-go. I smoked like regular during the drive to work, thinking the whole time about what I would do once I reached the week I had to stop smoking in the car. Once I got to work, I was fine; my schedule is really cram-packed until mid-morning, and then I get about a 25 minute break. I have stuff to plan for the next round of kids, but that only takes 10-15 minutes, so I'm left with about 10-15 minutes to spare. This seems like a short amount of time to ignore the craving to have a cigarette. However, in the past, I've seized this moment and started the habit of catching a quick smoke, so it seems wrong not to go out to my car with the time I have left. I tried finding things to do, but my mind kept saying, "You still have time for a few puffs." I have to admit, I did cave and go for the cigarette.

I felt bad about it for the rest of the day, so after lunch, I told my colleague about my plan to quit and what I had to cut out this week. I asked her if she would help me find work to do or talk with me during those short breaks so I wouldn't have the spare time nagging at me to be used smoking. She loved the idea and has promised to help all she can. I have also decided to try to write 2 books a week, so that will also be something I can work on during down times to keep me from caving in to the craving.

However, I must give myself props. I did not have a cigarette in the afternoon at work like I usually do and I have not smoked at all while talking on the phone today. I guess that though it seems meager when I write it out like that, it is a start, nevertheless. Better yet, I know I can go all day at work with only one cigarette tomorrow and not smoke while talking on the phone. Resolve is good. Now I just need to steel up my inner bitch, so to speak, and order her to talk louder and with more logic than the lit stick that is my nemesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment