Thursday, January 14, 2010

Adult Tantrums

As a single woman without children, normally when I am in a public place and another person's child is throwing a fist-banging-leg-tromping-top-of-the-lungs-wailing tantrum, I want to gouge my eardrums out. No offense to those with children; I know they can be very unpredictable sometimes and that a fit here and there is bound to happen. However, these kinds of displays usually make my head feel like it is about to explode, and often times, I have been very tempted to intercede and just make funny faces at the kid until they get distracted and stop. I will also admit that at other times, I just want to go up to them and yell as loud as they are until it startles them into silence.

However, today when I witnesses a tow-headed child at Wal-Mart pitch one of the biggest fits I've ever seen, I had a completely different reaction. My day and week have been long and I have SO much to grade, so my stress level is at an all-time high right now, so you would think that this kind of display would annoy the crap out of me. But no. Instead, I felt jealous. I'd had a bad day, why couldn't I do that? I found myself considering throwing my own fit right at that moment. Just throw down the items I'd put into my basket and yell, scream, kick, and punch the air or floor until I'd gotten it out of my system.

I pictured the parent, mouth agape, staring at me in disbelief as their own kid finally behaved when shown up by such a better display of frustration and anger. I imagined the Wal-Mart greeter's smile turn into a look of horror as I thrashed about on the ground. Other customers might get into it as well, yelling as loud as they could or rolling around on the ground, demanding irrational things. While others might think I was deranged or something and might call a mental hospital and put a straight jacket and padded room into my future.

Regardless of the outcome, I think it would be very therapeutic to just let it all out through one really atomic tantrum. Why is it that when we get older, tantrums suddenly become taboo? I guess some could say it is that whole "ability to communicate their feelings and thoughts" rather than pitch a fit thing. But I personally believe that every adult should be allowed at least two gigantic tantrums a month if they need them.

I know, many men might say that women pitch fits all of the time. Many women could also say the same thing about men they know; regardless, even if a person is "bitchy" or "asshole-ish" or "argumentative" or "confrontational", you still usually never see them really throw a physical tantrum. Most adult tantrums take on a more verbal or emotional fit, unless senseless fighting after drinking counts. So, I propose we should be able to pitch a fit so retro that our inner child is looking for a fist bump.

Think about how much money could be saved on medication and therapy, or even on a gym membership, if you really let yourself get into it. So, the next time you see (or hear) another person's child going crazy, I would recommend joining in (at least in your imagination). I think I will.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment