Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Warning: Disgruntled Teacher Rant

I am getting a bit sick of one of my bosses belittling me! I tried to blow it off, but it really is getting to me. I think he has the need to show me who is boss on a constant basis. He swears that he doesn't hold grudges, but ever since I told this man (politely) that I disagreed with how he was asking me to do something, I've been on his shit list and have gotten written up for the stupidest things this year.

I got written up again yesterday for a late call in, which was related to my stomach pains; I was trying to make it to work that day, despite the stomach pains, but couldn't make it and had to call in one or two times late. At least I tried to get there!

And the write-up is anything but professional. He actually includes that "a simple phone call would have solved all of these issues." I was doubled over in pain from a well-documented illness, which I am currently under doctors' care to treat and have gotten sick bank leave from the district, yet, just a simple phone call could have solved all of his problems. My bad, asshole.

And the best part is, the write-up is riddled with irony, which as an English teacher, I love, even if the irony is not to my benefit, just for my amusement. The "memo" is entitled "Lack of Timely Communication Skills" and is dated January 21--a full week after the incident of me not being timely with my communication. If this caused such a problem, why wasn't I written up sooner to when the occasion happened? It makes no sense; he was lacking in timely communication to me to tell me that he felt a lack of timely communication on my part. Oh well.

I guess it's time to start looking for another job or hope they renew me and stay just to piss him off. I really would miss some of my colleagues and some of the classes I teach if I leave this school, but I can't work in an atmosphere where my boss is a constant bully and treats me in a condescending manner.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about this... though the irony regarding the title of the memo and the actual timing of its release gave me a chuckle. Hang in there for the rest of the year... but I think you're right, you need a better environment to teach in. I'm behind you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ken! I'm glad it made you giggle as much as I did! :) If you wanted to help me do some research as far as positions for Comm Arts in HS or MS that are available in the area, I wouldn't say no! :) You seem to be the family online go-to guy!

    Thanks again for the support and encouragement, Ken. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on it! If there is a job out there for that position, I'll find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ken. It is mucho appreciated! I don't know what I'd do without you back in town! :) You've been so helpful and supportive; I can't say thanks enough!

    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about this!!!! So, do you feel you work in a hostile work environment? Are these things happening to anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the support!

    I do feel like I work in a hostile environment some of the time and that makes it difficult, but I love the courses I teach and some of the kids and colleagues, so that makes it a difficult decision whether or not to abandon ship and look for work elsewhere.

    It is indeed happening to others by the same man and we have discussed if we have a case of harassment, but aren't sure if we want to rock the boat like that, especially me, who isn't tenured. Others are getting written up by the same man for "having a messy desk" and "having books stacked in the corner" and one colleague even was written up for poor classroom management when she ASKED him to come to her class to give her advice on different strategies to manage that particular group of students.

    It is a crazy environment right now and a lot of people are very unhappy with the way this administrator is handling himself and the staff. Oh, well. It will either get better (in which case I can stay) or it will get worse (and I'll have to find work elsewhere, but that will be their loss because I am a great teacher and have given a lot of myself to those students).

    ReplyDelete